What’s better on a sultry summer night than a cool summer salad? Especially one that might also set the mood for a bit of romance! This watermelon salad offers a fun twist on a classic, by subbing basil for mint, and regular goat cheese for feta. The result is a delectable combination of flavors: sweet melon, savory cheese and bright basil, perfect for a date night al fresco.
Besides being delicious, this salad has a plethora of health benefits that will literally make you glow! True to its name, watermelon is 92% water and each bite is packed with potassium, vitamin A, B6, C, and more lycopene (a powerful antioxidant) than any other fruit or vegetable. This incredible superfruit has an alkalizing effect on your body, reducing inflammation and fighting disease. But that’s not all: watermelon is a natural aphrodisiac and may have viagra-like effects on the body. Watermelon relaxes blood vessels and increases blood flow, so the sexy health benefits show up in the bedroom. But equally appealing, it improves circulation and overall sense of well-being.
Basil has incredible health properties that turn this meal into medicine. Basil improves digestion, is disease fighting, supports cognitive function and reduces inflammation. Oh… and it also happens to be a natural aphrodisiac, which may be why this summer herb became the “symbol of love” in Italy.
No ingredient in this recipe goes without perks. The olive oil provides the healthy fats that are necessary to absorb the abundance of vitamins and nutrients. The crumbled goat cheese provides some lovely protein. And the vinegar or lime juice also alkalizes the body.
Sexy Summer Salad
- 1 watermelon (approx. 5-7 lbs)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar (for a variation, try lemon/lime juice)
- ½ cup olive oil salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbs. basil (ribboned, chopped or full leaves)
- 4 basil sprigs (for garnish)
- 4 oz. goat cheese
Easy Breezy Instructions:
- Make the dressing by whisking together the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Set the dressing to the side.
- Cut watermelon into cubes. Place in a large salad bowl. Add the chopped basil and crumbled cheese. Drizzle the dressing over the top. Toss the salad, so the basil, cheese, and dressing are distributed evenly.
- Portion the salad into four bowls and top with basil leaves
* Makes 4 large servings
* This salad should be served immediately. If you bring this recipe to a gathering, hold off on adding the dressing until mealtime.