Summer produce brings to mind juicy heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet fruits & an over supply of summer squash (aka zucchini). It’s easy to forget that early summer in the North East (and everywhere else with 4 seasons) offers an abundance of roots and greens rather than quintessential summer crops. Roots and greens are ideal foods for detoxing from the sluggishness and stagnation that can build up during winter and spring.
While roasted veggies may feel like a dish designed for the colder months, this roasted beet pesto is the perfect summer delicacy — it is both light and soothing on a hot summer day. Plus it aids digestion and adds a beautiful color to any party spread.
What makes beet pesto a superfood?
Lowers your blood pressure
Prevents cancer & fights inflammation
Chalk full of fiber aiding digestive health
Boosts immune system with natural antibiotic properties
Essential fats for brain power
A naturally sweet and delicious seasonal delicacy
Ready to get started?
- – 2 cups roasted beets or approximately 3-4 medium-sized raw beets for roasting
- – 1 tbs. walnut oil for roasting the beets (or any other high heat oil)
- – 1/4 cup olive oil
- – 1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds or walnuts
- – 1 tsp. salt
- – 3/4 cup parmasan
- – 2-4 cloves garlic (for your taste preference)
- – 1 tbs. nutritional yeast
- – 2 tbs. lemon juice or 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- – Option 1: Wash and peel the beets; cube them; & lightly coat them in walnut oil. Roast the beets at 375° for 40-50 minutes on a baking sheet uncovered. Allow beets to cool.
- – Option 2: Scrub the beets and roast them whole in a pyrex glass pan covered in aluminum foil at 375° for 60-80 minutes. Allow beets to cool. Then, peel the skin away from the beet meat.
- – Add roasted beets, roasted pumpkin seeds or walnuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, olive oil, nutritional yeast & lemon juice to a food processor. Pulse until you reach your desired texture (feel free to keep the pesto a little bit coarse or mix thoroughly for a smooth texture).
- – Enjoy on homemade pizza, tartines, sandwiches or wraps, or use as a delicious veggie dip!