When crafting the menu for our Summer Wellness Retreat, co-founder Karen Mehiel and long-time collaborator chef Jaime Sydney wanted to not only come up with delicious dishes, but ones that upheld the pillar of Right Nutrition.
They began with quality, seasonal ingredients… then created some fun and balanced combinations… which allowed the preparations to remain super simple.
The results were palate-pleasing and packed with nutrition.
Below you’ll find recipes for a light and flavorful quinoa salad, perfect to pair with a nice piece of arctic char finished with a zesty lemon & herb green sauce.
The quinoa is a super-food, as we know, with a good bit of protein and twice as much fiber as other grains. The raw zucchini in the salad helps with cholesterol and weight management, plus delivers high doses of potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C and antioxidants for healthy skin, hair, eyes and immune function. Heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil has a strong concentration of polyphenols, which have both antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Finally, the lemon and herbs alkalize and cleanse the entire body.
These dishes are flavorful, healthy and as gourmet as it gets… And they are easy breezy to prepare!
Roasted Arctic Char with Meyer Lemon and a Green Herb Sauce
For the Fish:
- 12 Arctic Char Filets
- 3 Meyer Lemons, zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
For the Sauce:
- 4 Cups of Parsley leaves, washed and dried
- 2 Bunches of Chives
- 1 Lemon, juice only
- 1 Cup of Olive Oil
- 2 Pinches of Sea Salt and Ground Pepper
1. Place the char on a parchment lined baking sheet. Season the fish with salt, pepper, lemon zest, and olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until done.
2. To make the sauce, pulse the herbs in a food processor until they are finely chopped. Add salt and pepper. With the blade running pour in the olive oil until it is blended. Cover the sauce until it is ready to be served. Serve on the fish or on the side.
Green Quinoa with Arugula, Mint, Pistachios, and Raw Zucchini
- 2 Cups of Quinoa
- 5 Cups of boiling water
- ¼ Cup of Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- ¾ Cup of Pistachios
- 1/2 Bunch of Parsley, cleaned, chopped
- 6 Mint Sprigs, leaves removed, cleaned, julienned
- 1 Zucchini, diced into small squares
- 1 ½ Cups of Baby Arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the water in a medium large pot. Add a few pinches of salt to the water and cook the quinoa for 20 minutes (or until the grains open up). Set the quinoa aside to cool.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix. Easy breezy.